Sunday 27 November 2011

Habari

This week has seen a number of people killed in road traffic accidents. While driving out of town on the main Morogoro road, traffic had come to a complete stand still.

I have spoken to the lads about following distances and introduced them to the two second rule. If you’re not familiar with the two second rule, it basically goes like this.

When following the lead vehicle on a single carriage way, duel carriage way or motorway, when that lead vehicle passes an inanimate object such as a bridge or road sign, say to yourself

“Only a fool breaks the two second rule” if you are still saying this while passing the inanimate object, then you are too close to the lead vehicle, of course, as road and weather condition change, it goes without saying, that the following distance must be increased.

To do this, don’t say to yourself, “only a fool breaks the four second rule” please, it doesn’t work like that, at least ten times the distance will be ok, however, use your common sense and give yourself plenty of room.  

I have also spoken to the lads about the following distance in queuing traffic and have told them about “tyres and tarmac” if you stop and can still see the rear wheels of the vehicle in front and some of the road, then you are just about the right distance from the lead vehicle.

It did raise a smile with the lads when all this was translated into Swahili, however, when any of the boys did get a bit close, to be fair it didn’t happen that often, all I had to say was “two seconds” and they soon pulled back, none of them wanted to be the fool.  

We now had no choice now but to join the queue of traffic, the driver stopped with plenty of room to move away, other motorist were out of their vehicles, talking quite loudly in Swahili to other people, waving their arms, becoming quite animated, I was told there had been an accident further down the road and it was completely blocked in both directions.

I later find out that four priests in a car had been killed, the driver overtook the lead vehicle and crashed head on into a lorry, the lorry driver survive, his injuries were not life threatening.

By the time the lads finished talking to some of the other motorist in Swahili, following traffic had joined the queue, however, the T&T lesson worked well, we managed to turn around and head back.

Peopled died that day, it brought it home to me yet again that life can be switched off in an instance, one mistake and it’s all gone, when you next drive a vehicle, how would you feel if you were held accountable for killing someone just because you were talking or sending a text on a mobile phone, switch the thing off, would the world stop turning if you didn’t make that call “no” exactly

Death is something that has been sitting on my shoulder for years, I think about the pain it brings every day of my life, I truly mean every day.

Losing someone in an accident which could have been prevented is terrible; the memory of losing someone you love; as I did when my sister was killed in a car crash is never far from my thoughts, particularly as I drive down Barnet by pass on my way home from Cricklewood, the very road where she was killed on.

Many people suffer bereavement, our first son Brett, died in 1978 as a result of Cystic Fibrosis he was only thirteen months old. I still remember playing peek a boo with him, I use to hold him in my arms and gently swing back and forth towards a mirror, he giggled so much it was lovely, I still have that mirror it hangs in my hallway, every day I pass it, I say boo into it, I hope he knows we still love him.

Our other son died aged 3 days old, he was born at Watford General Hospital in 1995 the doctors soon discovered that his internal organs had not developed as they should have, they told us he needed to go to Great Ormond Street Hospital straight away, I followed the ambulance and arrived a short time after they got there, my wife had to stay at Watford General, she was quite poorly. Great Ormond Street Hospital is the best of the best, they worked as hard as they possibly could to save Tom but it didn’t work out.

“Two tiny flowers lent not given, too bud on earth and bloom in heaven”

Metroline have a helpline available for all staff covering a wide range of issues, this includes bereavement counselling, if you are suffering bereavement at this moment I am sorry for your loss; but please give the helpline a call, they will be able to help ease your pain.

We do have a son, he was born in 1988 which makes him 23 years old, he’s a great lad and can eat for England and like any self respecting father, he has been brought up a gooner.

When he goes out in his car I always shout out “ A&P son A&P”
(Awareness & planning, he also holds a PCV licence)

I’m sure he’s fed up with me saying it, but I’m going to say it anyway.

1 comment:

  1. Great blog Ron, sounds like you are doing a sterling job, say hello to Neil for me,
    Ian D, (NX)

    ReplyDelete